Sunday, September 20, 2009

Ryan McGinley


I have been a huge fan of Ryan McGinely for many years and always love everything he does. I find his latest series, Moonmilk, to be quite inspiring although seemingly a bit different from his past work. While still using naked models in outdoor/environmental settings, the lighting and overall feel of the images is different. Obviously, shooting inside a cave would require lights but his choice to use colors (gels perhaps?), rather than natural lighting, brings a whole new element to the images and really allows the model to blend in with the landscape, which seems to be an important part of the series. Some of the images require the viewer to search for the person hidden within. In his past work, such as the series I Know Where the Summer Goes, the images are very open, airy and light, speaking of freedom. This series has a completely different feel. Even in the images that are in large, open areas of the caves, the nature of the jagged rocks encroaching from every angle give the images a claustrophobic feel.

I feel like this relates to my current work as I'm seeking ways to portray psychological issues such as repression of emotions. The claustrophobic look and feel could be an interesting thing to explore in terms of metaphor and eliciting emotions from viewers that are similar to those being presented. The idea of blending in with one's environment as to appease others is another thing that I have taken from these images. Hmmm... I have much to consider.










www.ryanmcginley.com

No comments:

Post a Comment