Sunday, October 11, 2009

Aline Smithson


Aline Smithson began her career as a fashion editor for Vogue Patterns magazine and later became a freelance photo stylist. When she discovered her uncle's twin lens Rolleiflex she discovered that she preferred to be behind the camera. All of these images are from a series titled, "Hollywood at Home". Smithson grew up close to Hollywood and has always been intrigued by the real and manufactured Hollywood. Inspired by the portraits of celebrities at home from the 40's and 50's she created her own manufactured "Hollywood". Her statement says, "This ongoing series is about elevating family and friends into a false stardom, where they, perhaps, are just on the verge of being discovered, happy to participate in the artificial glorification of who they really are." I find these images beautiful and intriguing, they make me want to know more about who the woman really is. I love her use of the old Hollywood glamor as that is the aesthetic that I'm working to portray in my series. I find this series inspiring definitely something to reference as I move forward in my own work.











www.alinesmithson.com

No comments:

Post a Comment