Thursday, October 15, 2009

Research: Old Hollywood Glamour and the Vanity

Instead of focusing specifically on the the 1920's and the "flapper" aesthetic, I have been working with the idea of referencing "Old Hollywood Glamour" without pushing it so far that it becomes a main component in my work. I want the images to appear modern while acknowledging the past. I think it is important to have a through understanding of what I would like to reference so I have been doing some research on what Old Hollywood Glamour really looked like. One specific trend I found was the use of the vanity. A vanity in itself is a piece of furniture that is associated with glamour, even today, as it is where a woman would sit down to do her hair and makeup, to transform into her perfect glamorous self. A vanity is the one place in a home that is dedicated specifically to beauty; a grand central station, if you will, of glamour. The mirror associated with the vanity is an important aspect of why I am drawn to it as a set piece for my flawed beauty series. A mirror offers back a physical reflection of self which can be a metaphor for internal self-reflection, both of which are important to my flawed beauty theme. I am now on a mission to find the perfect vanity for my series!

Vanity Inspiration (past and present):





No comments:

Post a Comment