Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Artist: Elle Muliarchyk


(note: Please excuse the delay of this post. I had a computer fiasco this weekend when my laptop battery decided to die when I was home in Nova. I then went to the Apple Store in Tyson's to get a replacement and drove all the way back to Richmond before I realized that I left my charging cord at the store. So.... finally up and running again, thankfully!!)

Elle Muliarchyk born in Belarus was discovered in a New York cafĂ©, by Patrick Demarchelier. She first came to attention as the ex-model who’s guerilla style photographs of herself in fashion boutique dressing rooms received worldwide media coverage after a six page expose on her work appeared in the New York Times Magazine. She has since expanded her body of work into fashion assignments and other collaborations (most recently with Bella Freud). Elle’s “hit and run” method creates very modern images that are at once radical and guerilla while also being surprisingly beautiful and sublime. To create her art works, Elle works alone and embraces the inherent danger and spontaneity as part of her method. (Despite being mugged and mistakenly arrested) She is tirelessly creating new projects that confront luxury on her own terms while addressing numerous social issues. The New York Times termed her technique as “Pretty Larceny” and notes “Elle Muliarchyk has been evicted from fashion boutiques around the world, she is an artist and what she steals are fashion moments. While some have compared her quirky oeuvre to Cindy Sherman’s stills and to Vanessa Beecroft’s performances, Muliarchyk is a true original. Her images are a compelling and eccentric cocktail of cheek and chic, narcissism and vulnerability.”

-www.afgmanagement.com/ellemuliarchyk



I love the way Muliarchyk's images mix fashion with meaning. Even without knowing her process, the images speak of something deeper and allow the viewer to conjure their own story and meaning. With my own series I am seeking to find ways in which I can portray meaning while still keeping a fashion edge and aesthetic. I think these are fine examples of finding that balance. I am also very interested in the use of light to convey emotions and enhance the beauty and meaning of a scene. I love Muliarchyk's use of light, some obviously available light like in the dressing room images and others, creative and imaginative explorations. I am truly inspired by her originality and the beauty of her work.









Absolutely love her use of light in these last few:



No comments:

Post a Comment