Monday, November 2, 2009

Critique of my Critique

After reviewing the video of my critique, I definitely think that there are improvements to be made. I was obviously nervous and didn't speak as eloquently about my work as I would have liked. There were long pauses as I thought of the correct words to use or things to say. There were a few um's. There was some fidgeting with my ring and with my note card-which got worse as the critique moved along as I was extremely hot and sporadically used the note card as a makeshift fan, not exactly the classiest thing to do while speaking about one's work. Which leads me to another point and that was the lack of speaking about my work in the latter part of the critique. After hearing multiple seemingly negative comments I kind of shut down; I stopped defending or further explaining my work and the reasons behind it and didn't ask for clarification when things were said that I didn't quite understand or necessarily agree with. I just stood there, nodding and staring at my work like an idiot.

In my ideal critique, I would be so sure, confident and proud of my work that words would come easily, even when faced with a seemingly negative comment. (Of course I believe in and appreciate constructive criticism but obviously everyone is different and what makes sense or is meaningful to one person is not necessarily the same for another, and sometimes a further explanation or polite refute may be necessary.) I was not in that place with this critique and it is quite obvious. I ventured away from my comfort zone in hopes of discovering something new and different and found that that new and different something was not as easily perfected in the time I had as I would have hoped. Entering into a critique without being 100% sold on the work you are showing is never a good idea and in the future I will make sure that anything I bring to a critique is something that I believe in and am willing to stand up for.

No comments:

Post a Comment