Friday, November 6, 2009

Research: Magazine Spread

After witnessing Johnny Cameron’s mid-term critique on Tuesday, I feel upset and jealous at the same time. I’m upset that I’ve spent this entire semester trying to find a conceptual theme to create the images that I know I need to create for my professional portfolio. I have spent hours upon hours trying to figure out how I can fulfill the demands of this class while still creating images that I know I need to be creating to build my brand and my skills. According to the syllabus and all the feedback I’ve received from my teachers… it is all about the concept. I completely changed my idea, method of shooting,goal, outcome, everything... because I was told that the path I was on was “too commercial.” I am upset that I didn’t just do what I wanted to do from the beginning and I wish that if it was acceptable to build a professional portfolio, which it seems that it is from the reaction to Cameron’s work, that it would have been made clear to everyone that this was an option. I feel as if I have wasted this entire semester on a concept that has gotten me nowhere. I have made and shown images that do no showcase my ability or talent because I have been so tied up in showcasing a concept. And I'm embarrassed that I let it happen that way. From this point forward I need to think in terms of creating the images that I want to make for my professional portfolio. I think the best way to go about that is to make a series that resembles a magazine spread. The one below is my favorite of all time, and will inspire me forever...


Steven Meisel

for American Vogue Sept. 2007:









No comments:

Post a Comment