Friday, February 12, 2010

Research (2/11/10): How does Kalle Gustafsson do it?

© Kalle Gustafsson

I am completely enamored with the work of Kalle Gustafsson and am very interested in understanding the Photoshop techniques that he employs, not to copy him obviously but to further my own skills and breath of knowledge as I seek my own personal style. In an interview with Digital Design Magazine that you can find here, Kalle confirms his use of Photoshop to give his images a certain look, but he's not giving anything away - and rightly so.

So I have been doing some research to see what tools other people think he is using. The Swipelife website described the images as having a "warmly desaturated, level-adjusted (meaning richer blacks) quality. " In a forum on RetouchPro, there were many different answers given: channel mixer and some masking, selective color layer, custom gradient map. Two of the more informative responses are shown below.



Another comment on a website that I can not find again said that they thought it was the Shadow/Highlight filter that was being used. I had never used this filter and found a few tutorials online that showed the basics. None of them were good enough to post though and didn't show how to use it in a way that would resemble Gustafsson's photos. I am currently working on some images using these new techniques and will post those soon. Apart from learning what Kalle may or may not be using, I am advancing my own Photoshop skills and am very excited about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment