Monday, February 22, 2010

Research (2/18/10): The Interesting Pose









All Images
© Sebastian Kim
"My Forbidden Love"
Numero Tokyo
Dec 2009

In an effort to move away from simple, predictable fashion images, I have been paying alot of attention to model's poses. An interesting pose can completely change the look and feel of a shot, as can be seen in the series by Sebastian Kim - with model Devon Aoki - shown above. When I came across these images I was immediatly drawn to them and their unconventional nature. Each pose is different and not exaclty something that one would expect to see in a typical fashion spread. In certain images there is a tension and rigidness to her body, while in others there is a flow of movement and ease. Each type of pose yields a certain feeling and emotion, allowing for a narrative of sorts to form on its own. What also draws me to this series is the use of the space in unconventional ways. The whole shoot seems to take place is one hotel-esque room (or maybe two) and yet each image is completely unique. The model is on top of the table, sitting up against a mirror, tangeling on the floor with a fallen chair. The interaction between the model, the furniture and the space is so compelling and soemthing that I would like to try and emulate. I believe that there is obviously a responsibility on behalf of the model to know their bodies and how to more them in interesting ways but a great deal of responsibility also falls on the photographer as they are seeing in through the lens and must direct movement to ensure that it is just right. In my past experiences, it has sometimes been difficult to direct the model as I tend to become completely engrossed with lighting and shutter speed and aperature. I think having an awareness of what I'm looking for and the skill set I want to posess - along with time and practice - will allow me to direct my models with confidence and creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment